Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 October 2017

... en français

Aujourd'hui, j'ai uploadé trois chansons sur YouTube - toutes en français. 

It is in my continuing quest to keep the French I learnt, about ten years or so ago, alive and kicking. It is not an easy task for this old brain, but it is fun trying!

To start with, I'd look for the lyrics, and set about trying to make sense of them. Google Translate is of immense help when I'm stuck with new words, or new combinations of words in a sentence. For one song, Perce les nuages, I asked the help of my friend who is a translator - Maryam - after I'd tried translating it on my own but was quite confused, and unsure, about the result. I'm so grateful to Yam - she was able to fine-tune the meaning in my head. It is easier to sing something when you know what it means.

C'est ma chanson

This is an old, old song - from 1967! Originally by Petula Clark, with the words in English written by Charlie Chaplin. This is the French version.


Perce les nuages

This beautiful song, was made famous by Isabelle Boulay, in 1988. I only just discovered it, and so had a double learning curve: To learn the melody; and, to learn the words in French. Then, I had to put them both together without getting my tongue in a knot, as well. I really enjoyed singing this one, and I wish I had my old voice back again, to do it real justice.

Je me sens bien

This is a fun song, and from wayyyy back in 1963 - when I was just starting school, at the age of 7!! I didn't know it then, and only discovered it on YouTube, a couple of weeks ago. This version is not the 60s-pop version of Petula Clark, but a more recent version, from 2011, I gather. Its lyrics are simple, and I didn't really need Google Translate, except to confirm that I'd gotten it all correct 😊