Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 August 2017

singing away the blues

The one constant in my life has been singing. From a little tot (I'm told), I have loved to sing and thought I was the bees knees at it, too! Hahaha.

One of the first songs I learnt to sing was 'The little Dutch girl', and it was my dad who taught me the words and the melody. I think I'd have been about 3 or 4 at the time. He'd sing along with me, I remember, and I'd say to him: Please don't! I don't know if that's a real memory, or if it's been planted by my parents, and aunts and uncles, and cousins!!! ;)

One of the first ways IPAH affected my life (besides not being able to breathe!), was the fact that my voice changed. From almost croaking, in a hoarse whisper, to not being able to hold a note when I tried to sing. I'd initially think it was a sore throat; then, I thought it was the effect of my asthma inhalers; and finally, I'd learn that it was a direct result of the pressure of my pulmonary artery, under high pressure, pressing on my vocal chords.

But, as with all things with this disease, I have good days, and bad days. And this past week, even though I've had bad days emotionally, my voice has returned. Inside my own head, it almost sounds like the voice I used to know. And, because the medications are doing their work well, this week, I can hold a note, and not wobble. Not too much, anyway.

You be the judge.

This is me, singing Stevie Wonder's 'Lately'.



And in this one, I am channeling the Bee Gees, from 1971, with 'How can you mend a broken heart'. HOW appropriate, aiteilyiew!


Yesterday was a good day.

And, I have learnt to not expect perfection. Crazy things happen during recordings, but I just keep on singing. If I do a better version on another day, I'll replace these ones I've done. But, I do know that years from now, I'll look back at this and be grateful for the good days that I've had.

I have other songs on my You Tube page.

How lucky to be alive in an age where everyone can be a 'recording artiste', eh?! Hahahaha. Where you can record yourself, and keep it online, and listen to it whenever you choose. And all for free. Yay! Good times.